Book Title: One to Watch
Author: Kate Stayman – London
Genre: Fiction / Women Fiction
Publishing Date: 07 July 2020
Bea Schumacher is a devastatingly stylish plus-size fashion blogger, who got a chance to participate in the reality show called “Main Squeeze”, which is fantasy dates with 25 men to find love! The story travels on the journey of Bea on this reality show as a Plus size woman!
Absolutely fantastic debut novel! At first, it took me some time to get into this particularly unusual narration! Included with a lot of chats, social media tweets, comments on blog posts, chat room conversations and podcast script, reality show script, etc, and I am not a big fan of this kind of narration and so I didn’t like it much! But after 50% of the book, I got a hang of it and by the end I adored it! The plot is simple and powerful! The characters are more natural with all human imperfections!! The first few events in the story were my least favorite! I hate adultery! Because of that, I couldn’t invest much in the story! But after half of the story, it gets more rapid and hooked us into it! And the final apology somehow diluted my initial hate! I appreciate the bold attempt with an unusual storyline and executed it well with all the perks and twists! It would be such a motivational story if you are not at peace with your body! Great job!
My Thoughts while reading:
- I felt disgusted when I read Bea’s involvement in adultery! I absolutely hate it! Being fat and feeling inferior is not an excuse for it all !! Though by the end she apologized I kind of can’t get over with it fully!
- It’s tough for me to imagine the buzz around the reality show as I never watched a single episode of this type of show and never read any gossip about it! But once I got a hang of it, I enjoyed it!
- Until the story gets into the reality show and the storyline familiar with the contestants it’s kind of boring for me! I even thought of DNF it! So if you feel like that just hang some more time, to find an amazing story!
- And the way it captures, behind the scenes drama and bitterness of reality shows and the tough part of being in it is amazing! It gives me a glimpse of the real-life behind reality shows!
- My fav part in the story is the final chapters !they are absolutely delightful to read and felt right at every word! Plus size women, this is such a motivational story ( not in a boring way ) to read!
- I wish more books to come like this to break the stereotypes and create awareness in the right way! For a debut novel, this book is an absolute pleasure to read and to celebrate womanhood!
Thanks to #netgalley and the publishers #randomhouse for this ARC. This review is straight from my heart not biased in any way!
Like this post? Consider following my blog…
non-Wordpress readers, if you want to like the post please give your rating below. Thanks in advance.